Become the cool green Ethical Gift chooser for the planet!
Did you know that over Christmas, as much as 83 square kilometres of wrapping paper will be thrown in the bin – enough to cover an area the size of Guernsey! Instead make your own cards and wrap up your gifts creatively, using old newspapers, old magazines, your paint box and imagination.
Here are the Environment Agency’s top ideas for green gifts!
- Give plants, especially drought resistant ones which are good for the environment.
- Give fountain pens (that refill from a bottle of ink as opposed to cartridges) to replace disposable pens.
- Buy Fairtrade food and drink that benefit the growers and farmers of the Third World.
- Help to conserve natural resources by giving presents made of recycled materials.
- Keep waste down by choosing presents without layers of packaging.
- Buy durable gifts, especially toys.
- Give gifts of experiences: theatre, dance or sports tickets, and gift certificates for restaurants.
- Choose items that save energy such as low flowing shower heads, and LED bulbs.
From: A Good Life by Leo Hickman.